Dresden Plate Appliqué PDF
Print on fabric for better results than with Dresden Plate Appliqué templates or paper piecing.
The Dresden Plate Quilt Design Book is free with this shape collection.
Dresden Plate Appliqué includes backgrounds and blades which can be combined in many ways to make distinctive variations of Dresden Plate, Wheel, and Fan Designs for 9 and 10-inch blocks.
PDF DOWNLOAD – SHAPE COLLECTION 18.9 MB + DRESDEN PLATE QUILT DESIGN BOOK
System Requirements – Windows or Mac with Adobe Reader (not a phone or tablet) and any ordinary color Inkjet printer or all-in-one.
This shape collection PDF includes 9 different blades and two sizes of circles.
Back-basting Appliqué too!
There are also 5 different back-basting layouts, which give perfect positioning with scraps—even without printing blades! If you back-baste, you can print any size (see the free Appliqué Printing Instructions)
Features of the Dresden Plate Appliqué Shape Collection (PDF)
- 9 different blades to print on fabric
- diagrams showing how much fabric you need
- shapes without seam allowances to print on freezer paper (just in case you want templates)
& More Good Things about Dresden Plate Appliqué
- use a rotary cutter or scissors
- choice of 8, 12, 16, or 24 blades per plate
- choice of 2 sizes of the circle for the center (1.5 and 2.5-inch), plus half and quarter circles for fans
- skip the tracing, skip the lightbox, skip the markers!
- get great results by hand or by machine with matching marks printed on the fabric
- shop your stash for scraps or use the diagrams to buy what you need
- fussy cut some of the shapes for impressive effects
- back-basting layouts have generous seam allowances just in case the appliqué shrinks the background
- if you back-baste, you can print any size (see the free Appliqué Printing Instructions)
- use Jelly Rolls for some of the blades
- mix two or more blades in each plate for unique designs
- follow the step-by-step assembly instructions for results that will make you proud
- complimentary Dresden Plate Design Book with worksheets and everything you need to know to design and make your quilt (74 pages) You might want to get it first. (tab)
Choice of Methods
- use Inklingo to print the patches and/or the back-basting outlines on the fabric (no tracing!), or
- use traditional appliqué techniques with templates printed on freezer paper, or
- foundation piece the blades on printed backgrounds, or
- back-baste individual blades, or just the tops
I like a combination of foundation piecing and back-basting the best. All of the methods are illustrated in the design book (74 pages). There is no charge for it when you buy a related shape collection.
Love the lines. Quilt more!
You will be happy with the results you get with sewing lines and matching marks printed on the fabric!
“A few” possible back-basting designs!
The backgrounds and blades in this collection can be combined in many ways to make distinctive variations of Dresden Plate, Wheel, and Fan designs.
Dresden Plate Quilt Design by Claudia Rollins with Inklingo
“Pansies Art Deco” was designed and sewn by Claudia Rollins with Inklingo for the SewBatik Fabric Challenge at the Association of Pacific West Quilters Show.
18 x 18, as required by the SewBatik Fabric Challenge in the Pacific West Quilt Show, August 23 – 25, 2013 in Tacoma WA. Shown with permission of Claudia and the Show Director, Elizabeth Spannring. (Thank you!)
Claudia is an inspiration. She used a variety of Inklingo blades to create a truly unique variation of the Dresden Plate.
You can have it all!
If you order the Appliqué collection and the Fancy Pieced collection, you will have it all! (Everything in the Basic Pieced collection is included in the Fancy Pieced Collection.)
Get the Design Book first?
There is no charge for the Inklingo Dresden Plate Quilt Design Book (PDF, 74 pages) when you buy a Dresden Plate or Grand Desert shape collection.
Some quilters like to buy the design book first to see the instructions and help them decide which size they prefer.
3 ways to get the design book free!
- When you buy related shapes, I manually add the design book to your account as soon as I see your order.
- If you buy the design book first (on sale for $10), when you buy related shapes in the next 60 days, I manually refund $10 as soon as I see your order.
- If you buy the shapes and the design book on one order, I manually refund $10 as soon as I see your order, so the design book is still free.