3 inch Winding Ways PDF
This is a classic design with gentle curves. The 3-inch size is perfect for portable hand piecing but it can be addictive.
Print hundreds of shapes on fabric scraps and start sewing.
This shape collection includes instructions but there is a beautiful new Winding Ways book too. (Hardcover or download)
3-inch Winding Ways is teeny weeny! It`s perfect if you love miniatures.
Winding Ways is sometimes called the Wheel of Mystery.
PDF DOWNLOAD –SHAPE COLLECTION + INSTRUCTIONS + WORKSHEETS 31 MB
System Requirements – Windows or Mac with Adobe Reader (not a phone or tablet) and any ordinary color Inkjet printer or all-in-one.
This shape collection PDF includes the three basic shapes plus a bonus double shape. The double shape is included because it reduces the bulk in the center intersection. Very cool. There is also a 3-inch Deluxe Winding Ways shape collection with extra shapes for even more design variations.
See all the Winding Ways sizes in the Index of Shapes.
Features of the 3-inch Winding Ways Shape Collection (PDF)
- shapes to print on fabric
- diagrams showing how much fabric you need
- shapes without seam allowances to print on freezer paper (just in case you want templates)
& More Good Things about Inklingo Winding Ways
- use a rotary cutter or scissors
- bonus shape to reduce bulk in the center
- optional combo layouts to save time and fabric (Inklingo quilters love combos!)
- ideal for scraps
- fussy cut some of the shapes for impressive effects
- stitching lines and matching marks make it easy to hand piece these gentle curves
- follow the innovative one-page guide to stay organized while you sew and press
Traditionally, quilters have used homemade or acrylic templates for Winding Ways. The curves in this design are much easier to sew when you print the shapes on fabric, thanks to the precision corners and matching marks. In this special case, we want the dog ears to help line up the seams, but there is a line so you can trim them off after sewing.
More Inspiration for 3-inch Winding Ways
There are instructions in this shape collection. However, you should consider ordering the new Winding Ways book (hardcover or download) too.
The new Winding Ways book provides an even more comprehensive examination of this classic design. It includes hundreds of photos and images with patterns for more than a dozen quilts. There are also detailed instructions for fussy cutting, scissors cutting, and rotary cutting with templates.
The info in the Winding Ways book applies to any other quilt shapes, so I think you will want it even if you are not making Winding Ways yet.
There is even more inspiration on the Winding Ways Board on Pinterest and Facebook.
Some of the worksheets in this shape collection use two or three sizes. Follow a traditional pattern or get creative with the examples in the new book.
Use Winding Ways for the perfect edge on an appliqué quilt—or any quilt! A curved binding is always impressive, and my instructions for a scalloped binding are free online.
Love the lines. Quilt more!
Video and Special Features
Winding Ways Video
1. APRIL 2021 – NEW HARDCOVER BOOK
There is even more detailed information about fussy cutting, rotary and scissors cutting, and designing Winding Ways quilts in my new book.
APRIL 2022 – Now also available to download!
The info applies to Winding Ways and any other shapes so I think you will want it even if you are not making Winding Ways yet.
2. Deluxe? There is also a Winding Ways Deluxe 3-inch shape collection which includes even more shapes than this basic collection to make variations.
3. There are larger sizes to sew Winding Ways by hand or by machine. (This tiny 3-inch size is very satisfying to hand piece—like eating peanuts.)
Love the lines. Quilt more!
The original Winding Ways Design Book has been retired. The instructions and worksheets are included in this shape collection.
There are no reviews yet.