Colonial Garden 1.32 inch
Print octagons, kites and squares on fabric for better results than with octagon acrylic templates and other traditional methods.
Sew by hand or machine or both (hybrid).
Sew Colonial Garden 1.32 inch (Beyer 411-10) with octagons, kites and squares printed on fabric for better results than with octagon templates.
Sew by hand or by machine.
This shape collection PDF includes the octagon, kite and square to make Colonial Garden blocks. The two bonus shapes (half kite and circle) make this collection even more versatile.
15.4 x 15.4 inch with this shape collection
Why 1.32 inch?
This shape collection was requested by quilters who wanted more shapes to fit with the diamonds, triangles, and squares in the FREE Diamond Triangle Square shape collection to make beautiful, unusual designs.
15.4 x 15.4 inch – The half kite shape allows you to finish with a straight edge, if desired.
I sew these shapes by machine unless I need a portable project. With Inklingo lines printed on the fabric, you can sew some seams by hand and some seams by machine.
Print identical sheets of fabric for Inklingo No Waste Fussy Cutting. It is similar to Stack n Whack™ and One Block Wonder methods but without templates. Make Dresden Plate style blocks too—one of MANY variations with these shapes.
Features of the Colonial Garden 1.32 inch Shape Collection (PDF)
- shapes to print on fabric
- diagrams showing how much fabric you need
- shapes without seam allowances to print on freezer paper (just in case you want templates)
& More Good Things about Colonial Garden 1.32 inch
- use a rotary cutter or scissors
- perfect for Colonial Garden quilts and many other block designs
- the kite and kite half can be used with the bonus circle for Dresden Plate Style Blocks
- the kite half increases your design options and allows you to finish with a straight edge
- notes about design variations
- a choice of regular or combo layouts to save fabric and save time
- precision corners and matching marks to make the sewing easier
- ideal for fussy cutting
- shapes fit on small scraps
- choice of methods—hand or machine
- 3 worksheets
- a refreshing change from hexagons but the sewing and pressing are similar, so the Hexagon Quilt Design Book ($20 value) is added as a bonus
When you buy a Colonial Garden shape collection, I manually add the Hexagon Quilt Design Book (70 pages) as soon as I see your order, so you can download it too. The design book focuses on 60° hexagons but the sewing and pressing instructions also apply to octagons.
Kites can be tricky! Compare the kites in Colonial Garden and Periwinkle Octagon. For Colonial Garden, the 1.32 inch side is the short side of the kite but for Periwinkle Octagon shape collection, the 1.32 inch side is the long side of the kite.
30.8 x 30.8 inches Colonial Garden
See more setting ideas on the blog (tab)
Love the lines. Quilt more!
Colonial Garden Setting Ideas
30.8 x 30.8 inches
There is an article about this Colonial Garden quilt setting on the blog.
Variations of Colonial Garden are in another article.
There are even more quilt examples in the Colonial Garden album on Pinterest.